Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
Yes. Professional chimney sweeps advise that chimneys be cleaned when the creosote has built up to 1/8 inch to ¼ inch. This will help prevent chimney fires. Remember: The fireplace is not an incinerator. Do not burn trash or large amounts of paper. The temperatures these items may produce can damage your fireplace or chimney. Find more resources on the Safety Tips page.
Show All Answers
Smoke detectors should be checked monthly. Check them by pressing the test button. Find more details in the Smoke Alarms Safety Tips (PDF).
At least once each year. Smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms will produce a chirping sound if the batteries become weak. Read more in the Smoke Alarms Safety Tips (PDF).
Smoke detectors should be cleaned once or twice per year. You can do this with the brush attachment to your vacuum cleaner. please note: The detector may sound when you are cleaning it. read through the Smoke Alarms Safety Tips (PDF)
Smoke detectors have a normal life expectancy of 10 to 15 years. If you are getting false alarms from your detector, it may need to be replaced. When having problems with your detector, always remember to check the battery. Read through the Smoke Alarm safety Tips (PDF) for more information on how to maintain smoke detectors.
Yes! The Fire Department responds to several fires every year because a homeowner has cleaned their fireplace or wood stove and placed the ashes in a paper bag. Ashes can stay hot enough to start a fire for up to seven days. Find more resources on the Safety Tips page.
Some stains are capable of creating enough heat to start a fire as they dry (check the label). This is known as spontaneous combustion. Rags should be laid flat or hung to air dry. They can then be disposed of when completely dry. Rags should be hung or laid flat outside or in well-ventilated areas. Visit the Safety Tips page for other helpful resources, and recommendations.
Effective August 1, 2008, all existing single-family homes shall be equipped with an approved carbon monoxide alarm. read more on the Fire Prevention page.